Ships in 2-4 days.
USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier
with S/PDIF Optical+Coaxial Inputs
The UHA-6S.MKII is a high-performance USB DAC and amplifier combo. It features a 16-bit/48kHz USB streaming interface, 24-bit/96kHz optical and coaxial S/PDIF (TOSLINK) inputs, and a 1/8-inch analog line input. With its low-noise and low-distortion performance, the UHA-6S.MKII can drive a wide range of loads, from high-sensitivity earphones to high-impedance headphones.
The all-aluminum construction of the UHA-6S.MKII provides a solid yet lightweight feel. The internal Lithium-ion battery is rechargeable through the USB connection. A rear panel switch disables the charging function, maximizing the battery life of your portable computer or tablet PC and allowing the UHA-6S.MKII to function on a low-power USB port.
The UHA-6S.MKII can be customized for a particular sound signature. The output stage op-amps are socketed and easily replaceable. The audio signal path is designed without the use of DC blocking capacitors, which can cause an increase in harmonic distortion. An automatic DC compensation circuit removes any DC voltage at the output, allowing for maximum headphone performance.
The UHA-6S.MKII replaces the previous generation model, the UHA-6S. The MKII has several improvements over the original model:
- Addition of coaxial S/PDIF digital input
- Lower output noise
- Higher output power
- Thinner, streamlined case design
High-performance Cirrus Logic DAC. The CS4398, Cirrus Logic’s flagship digital-to-analog converter, is a long-time favorite of audio enthusiasts due to its exceptional performance and audio quality.
Optical and coaxial S/PDIF digital inputs. The UHA-6S.MKII is compatible with S/PDIF sources up to 24-bit/96kHz.
True ground audio reference. With bipolar voltage rails at +/-6 VDC, there is no need for an output ground buffer which can cause additional output distortion and other audio artifacts. This also allows the UHA-6S.MKII to be used as a low-noise DAC/preamp into a line input such as an A/V receiver. Additionally, there are no DC-blocking capacitors in the signal path, which can cause harmonic distortion.
Socketed op-amps. For full customization, the output stage op-amps in the UHA-6S.MKII are socketed and easily replaceable. Single-channel op-amps are used throughout for minimal channel crosstalk.
Two-position gain control. Optimize performance for your headphones or earphones by choosing from two gain settings.
Automatic input selection. The input is automatically selected among the four available sources: analog, USB, optical S/PDIF, and coaxial S/PDIF.
Advanced battery management. Use any high-power USB port or USB charger accessory to charge the UHA-6S.MKII. A rear panel switch disables charging, maximizing the battery life of your portable computer or tablet PC. The front-panel power LED indicates low-battery status. A battery disconnect circuit prevents full discharge, maximizing the lifetime of the battery. The UHA-6S.MKII is compatible with most standard 5V USB wall chargers.
Plug and Play USB operation. The UHA-6S.MKII uses the standard USB audio drivers which are included in Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Max output power (1% THD):
- 30 mW into 16 ohms
- 55 mW into 32 ohms
- 110 mW into 100 ohms
- 55 mW into 300 ohms
- THD+N at 1 kHz (optical input, 20 Hz to 80 kHz bandwidth, no weighting):
- 0.0035%, 1 mW into 16 ohms
- 0.0060%, 1 mW into 32 ohms
- 0.0022%, 1 mW into 100 ohms
- 0.0035%, 1 mW into 300 ohms
- Frequency response: <10 Hz to >22 kHz, +/-0.1 dB
- Battery life:
- >30 hours typical, analog input
- >10 hours typical, S/PDIF input
- Dimensions: 70 x 84 x 20 mm (2.8 x 3.3 x 0.8 inches)
- Weight: 6.0 oz (170 g)
- 16-bit/48kHz USB digital audio
- 24-bit/96kHz optical and coaxial S/PDIF digital audio inputs (TOSLINK)
- 1/8″ analog input
- Bipolar voltage rails (+/-6 VDC) with true ground reference
- Automatic input selection
- Two-position gain select (+0dB/+18dB)
- Socketed output stage op-amps (8-pin DIP, single)
- DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4398
- DAC filter op-amps: LT6233
- Output stage op-amps: OPA209 (other options available)
- Uses standard USB audio drivers
- Compatible with the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (CCK)
- Compatible with Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7
- Rechargeable battery, charged through USB
- Charge disable switch for maximizing battery life of laptop PCs and tablet devices
- Power/low-battery and charge indicator LEDs
- Available in silver or black
- Includes Micro-USB cable and self-adhesive rubber feet
UHA-6S.MKII User Guide (pdf, 574 kB)